Note that I follow Semantic Versioning which means that the
major (first) number in a version like
1.0.0 will only change if there’s either a breaking change with something like the config file format (users with the old version then wouldn’t be able to open the file saved with the new version), or if there’s a significant change in the usage flow of the app (so users need to change their habits). A migration guide will be provided on this page for every breaking change.
🐞 [1.3.1] - 2023-01-14
- Removed 3 regional language variants as they actually aren’t supported by any currently supported translation service.
- Fixed an issue where multiple Add Translation windows would stay open on multiple use of the shortcut.
✨ [1.3.0] - 2023-01-04 (Dec ‘22 Feature Update)
- We love Open Source, so we’re giving all Open Source projects unlimited access to all RemafoX features for free!
- Currently, only licenses listed on ChooseALicense.com/licenses are supported, including Apache 2.0, GPLv3, MIT, and more.
- Currently, the public repository has to be available on either GitHub.com or GitLab.com.
- Currently, an internet connection is needed for the Open Source validation to work.
- Currently, only projects which are at least partly written in Swift are supported.
🐞 [1.2.2] - 2022-12-21
- Fixed an issue when machine translating to Portuguese (Portugal) via Microsoft Translator. #69 (Thanks to Rob!)
🐞 [1.2.1] - 2022-12-10
- Fixed ‘Copy Code’ button text color in dark mode from white-on-white (invisible) to black-on-white. #68 (Thanks to Marc!)
✨ [1.2.0] - 2022-12-05 (Nov ‘22 Feature Update)
- Added support for 5 missing languages supported by the DeepL machine translation service: Bulgarian, Estonian, Lithuanian, Latvian, and Slovenian.
- Added support for 61 (!!) missing languages supported by the Microsoft Translator service, for example Amharic, Azerbaijani, Bosnian, Burmese, Filipino, Khmer, Klingon, Malagasy, Nepali, Pashto, Persian, Punjabi, Serbian, Uyghur, Telugu, Turkmen, Uzbek, and many more! Yes, even Klingon. [>.-]
- A new ‘Related Tools’ menu links to related tools, libraries, and apps that might be of interest to users of RemafoX.
- The name of the app has been slightly simplified by lowercasing the previously uppercased ‘M’. Now it reads: ‘RemafoX’, instead of ‘ReMafoX’.
- Fixed an issue with the inserted code not referencing things correctly when the default code generation settings were changed. #64 (Thanks to Logan!)
- Showing a warning when the key in the ‘Add Translation’ view contains a newline as this is most probably an oversight & could lead to issues in Xcode. #65 (Thanks to Logan!)
🐞 [1.1.1] - 2022-11-03
- Escaping the key portion in line number search for Stringsdict files properly to prevent a project setup error. #58 (Thanks to Franco!)
- Exclude more types of Xcode-managed Strings files from being included in the generated code. #49 (Thanks to James!)
✨ [1.1.0] – 2022-10-29 (Oct ‘22 Feature Update)
- Officially added support for macOS 13 “Ventura” (tested & fixed some minor issues).
- Added support for generating Objective-C compatible code for safely accessing localized Strings. Enable in the ‘Generated Code’ pane. #26 – The Add Translation workflow will now automatically insert Objective-C code when triggered from within an Objective-C file.
- Automatic detection of projects containing Objective-C code (to set the new option) for a streamlined project setup.
- Improved the behavior of path search text fields in the config file UI to not interfere while typing.
- Fixed hangs during text entry in config file UI on macOS Ventura. [#37] (Thanks to James!)
- Fixed ‘Interface Builder Ignore Flags’ not being editable in config file UI.
- Fixed changing translation texts in Add Translation view in the middle of texts sending cursor to end.
🐞 [1.0.4] - 2022-10-21
- Added support for regional Microsoft Translator resources, simply provide your region in the ‘Set up API Keys’ form in app settings. #51 (Thanks to Nick & Liviu!)
- Changed keyboard shortcut for opening the Projects Browser from Cmd+P to the more common Cmd+0. #48 (Thanks to @gaige!)
- Fixed unaligned texts in the help menu. #46 (Thanks to @gaige!)
- Fixed the default icon not being pre-selected in the Settings.
🐞 [1.0.3] - 2022-10-16
- Welsh was added to the supported languages, including full pluralization support! #32 (Thanks to James!)
- Added current tier info to the environment info when reporting bugs to help reproducing bugs.
- Improved the error message to point to the current solution for non-Base-localized Storyboard/XIB/Intent files. #41
- Fixed empty source translations preventing bulk machine translations from completing. #20 (Thanks to @lukemmtt!)
- Fixed ignoring the ignore flags (e.g.
#remafox-ignore) for extracting Strings from Storyboard/XIB files. #21 (Thanks to @lukemmtt!)
- Improved the naming of the type generated for keys like
%1$@ %2$@from being
- Fixed a non-closeable Plan Chooser window showing on each app start when installing the app with a pre-purchased plan. #40 (Thanks to James!)
- Fixed the “Insert” buttons in Add Translation window being disabled when on the Max tier. #25 (Thanks to @gaige & James!)
🐞 [1.0.2] - 2022-10-09
- Added links to learning material videos in Projects Browser for both project setup & add translation best practices.
- Fixed an issue with the app icon switcher not updating in Projects Browser + added a hint on setting icon failure.
- Fixed an issue where the limits check wouldn’t work properly on first config file open.
- Fixed an issue with the build script not pointing to the home directory properly, making the build script not recognize the CLI tool.
🐞 [1.0.1] - 2022-10-07
- New ‘Help’ menu item with a direct link to leave a rating on the App Store.
- Fixed an issue where no error details would be presented when enum generation failed in project setup, getting stuck in the process.
✨ Public Release: ✨ [1.0.0] - 2022-10-05
- Updated DeepL supported languages to include Indonesian, Turkish, and Ukrainian.
- Improved the “Add Translation” window completion experience by hiding app and switching to Xcode rather than quitting.
- Fixed an issue where no error details would be presented when counting keys in config file failed.
🐞 [1.0.0-beta.4] - 2022-09-20
- Added “Show Projects Browser” & “Show Add Translation” buttons to “Window” menu bar to help with some window management issues.
- Added a new option to configure if an empty line should be placed between every two keys in a
.stringsfile or not.
- Reverted Add Translation window to quit the entire app again on Cancel or Insert button press to prevent duplicate windows.
- The list of supported languages in source language selection dropdowns is now sorted alphabetically.
- Improved automatic detection of multiple subpaths on setup and adding
/suffix to folders for less confusion.
- Improved performance of application in several places by preventing unnecessary re-computes of SwiftUI views.
.remafoxconfig file structure has received new
appleStringsFilesConfigoptions. An automatic migration is available (only in this beta release!) – just open all your config files once and save them right away to upgrade.
- Fixed an issue with machine-translation not finding
.strings(dict)files when the language forlders are in same path as
.remafoxconfig file. (Thanks to Ulf)
- Fixed an issue that could lead to a crash during machine-translation with
.lprojpaths with invalid lang codes.
- Fixed an issue in the project browser that could delete the wrong project in the list after confirming the delete.
- Fixed an issue where editing a
.stringsdictfile from Xcode would lead to a different indentation format than when produced by RemafoX.
- Fixed an issue that rendered some leftover SF Symbols in Add Translation text views incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue with multi-line translation values in the source language leading to compiler errors in the generated Swift file.
🐞 [1.0.0-beta.3] - 2022-09-01
- A new App Icon Switcher in the app’s settings allows users to select their preferred app icon design & color.
- A new
remafox translatesubcommand in the CLI tool completes the build script by adding a machine-translation step. (Thanks to Ulf)
- Added sound effects on a few specific success or error actions, such as project setup completion or occurrence of an error.
- A new option in the app’s settings for turning off app sound effects for users who prefer no sound effects.
- A new error message with a helpful text is shown on pressing a project in browser when the config file was moved. (Thanks to Nico!)
- Improved relevance of web searches of users by changing error code separator from ‘-‘ to ‘x’.
- Simplified the wording of Help menu entries to a shorter & more familiar terminology.
- Changed the temporary app icon to the final design after 2 Twitter surveys.
- Improved setup for developers opening a pre-configured project: The open panel should now always show the right project root path.
- Moved ‘Copy code’ button into the code box for a more intuitive place to find it. (Thanks to Nico!)
- Adjusted color of multi-steps tutorial page controls to look less like a clickable button. (Thanks to Nico!)
- Changed the app accent color from a greenish color to be more blue, based on the new default app icon. (Thanks to Nico!)
.remafoxconfig file structure has received a new
configFilePathfield. An automatic migration is available (only in this beta release!) – just open all your config files once and save them right away to upgrade.
- Removed extra emphasis on “Resources Enum File Path” text field in config file to simplify information hierarchy. (Thanks to Nico!)
- Fixed an issue where the machine translation would be executed before normalization, leading to the possibility of temporarily untranslated keys. (Thanks to Ulf)
- Fixed an issue which prevented the machine translation results view from being shown when started from config file. (Thanks to Ulf)
- Fixed an issue that could lead to a crash in some language combinations within the smart mapping logic when translating pluralized Strings.
- Fixed the build script showing an invalid relative path to the config file by calculating relative path from project if available. (Thanks to Ulf)
- Fixed an issue where the build script could fail with an
Error Code: RWF-Xstating ‘data couldn’t be read because it is missing’ even if it wasn’t. #3 (Thanks to Vasiliy)
- Fixed an issue that could prevent a translation text field receiving user input from the user after pressing ‘Rescan’ button in add translation view.
- Fixed an issue with jumping to a next language text field via pressing ‘tab’ on pluralized text entry in add translation view.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the default indentation style for new projects to be ‘4 spaces’ (it defaulted to ‘3 spaces’ instead).
- Fixed an issue that rendered SF Symbols in text views incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue where special characters in machine-translated texts would not be correctly escaped in
.stringsfiles, leading to a build error.
- Fixed an issue which could lead to a crash on project setup in projects with Base-localized Storyboard/XIB files.
🐞 [1.0.0-beta.2] - 2022-07-24
- Warns when config file format has higher version than currently supported with hint to upgrade.
- Added automatic search for Xcode projects and a picker to select one. This helps detect the supported languages more reliably. (Thanks to Holger!)
- Improved formatting of Xcode integration instructions.
- Widened click area for expandable disclosure groups (such as ‘Show Explanation’) from triangle to full title. (Thanks to Ulf)
- Changed the title of diclosure groups to state ‘Hide’ instead of ‘Show’ when they are in expanded state.
- Made the settings window size smaller to fit the currently small amount of options.
- The add translation window no longer quits the entire app but hides all windows instead on Cancel or Insert button press.
- Changed recommended ‘Add translation’ shortcut to ⌥⌘L from ⌥L which is used for ‘@’ in common keyboard layouts like German.
- Changed the ‘Copy’ button title to ‘Copy Code’ to make it clear what is being copied in Build Script walkthrough. (Thanks to Nico!)
- Hidden detailed explanation behind disclosure group in last step of Build Script walkthrough for less text. (Thanks to Nico!)
- Removed potentially confusing different doc sample language setting, always using source language now.
- Removed the “New” item menu bar entries & window tabbing support to prevent confusion with window management.
- Removed the need to specify if the provided DeepL auth key is for a Free or a Pro plan. Auto-detecting based on key instead.
- Removed SF Symbol icons that were not showing properly for the about menu entry and help menu entries.
- Fixed an issue with Strings(dict) files not being updated on search path changes after initial setup.
- Fixed an issue where a non-existent Strings(dict) file could be selected by default in add translation window.
- Fixed an issue with source language chooser being empty when localized files are placed at projects root. (Thanks to Ulf!)
- Fixed an issue where contents from Storyboard/XIB-related Strings files would be included into the generated resources enum.
✨ Beta Release: ✨ [1.0.0-beta.1] - 2022-07-07
List of Features in this Beta
- Add new localizable Strings to your Strings files without ever leaving your Swift file in Xcode (Free)
- Machine-translate your localizations to all ~40 languages supported also by iOS using Microsoft or DeepL services (Free, but services not included)
- Safely access translations in code using generated Swift enums for auto-completion & compiler checks (Free)
- Lint your Strings files for empty translations or duplicate keys and show in-line warnings in Xcode (Free)
- Incrementally update your base-localized Storyboard’s or XIB’s related Strings files (Free)
- Normalize your Strings by sorting keys alphabetically & harmonizing with a selected source language (Free)
- Easily add new pluralized localizable Strings to your Stringsdict files without leaving Xcode (Paid)
- Easily machine-translate pluralized localizable Strings with smart language-rules-aware pluralization counts (Paid)
Improvements over BartyCrouch
- A new config file format which can be edited with an intuitive visual editor (no
- A new “Preview matching files” button to conveniently simulate a files search & adjust paths accordingly based on results
- An explanation for every single configurable option for more confidence in adjusting the config to your needs
- A built-in SwiftUI-compatible enum generator with lots of customization options (no need for SwiftGen for Strings)
- The API keys for machine translations services are no longer stored in the config file (no secrets in Git)
- A built-in project scanner to provide smarter defaults for a quick start – including a BartyCrouch migrator (read-only)
- Multiple built-in step-by-step guides for easier integration with Xcode
- Adding new localizations no longer breaks Xcodes edit history thanks to a built-in Xcode Source Editor extension
Planned for the Future
- Easy way to send translations to translators & integrate their provided translations
- Synchronize translations between Android & iOS platforms of the same app
- Provide a glossary of reviewed common Strings (to improve machine-translated apps)
- UI/Unit tests integration to provide context screenshots for keys for translators
- … and much more!